Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Some of my favorite ACC 2009 signees

These prospects are ones that I was personally high on this past recruiting period, but they will not be headed to Vanderbilt. I'll break them down by conference and share a couple of thoughts as to why I liked their abilities so much.

ACC

DB. Jim Noel- Boston College
VU was pretty interested in Noel, but didn't really need a safety/linebacker prospect in 2009. Versatile and quick, I think he'll be solid in BC's defense.

WR. Bryce McNeal- Clemson
4-star prospect, so he's probably a "no doubter" but still, I love his size and speed combination. I think even as a 4-star, he was somewhat underrated on a national sense.

TE/DE. Dan Hicks- Florida State
This guy has tremendous upside in my opinion and I think only an injury stopped him from really taking off. He was headed to Arkansas State but FSU came in at the last minute and I think FSU made a solid choice here. I liked him for a while when he was getting no activity..then suddenly he's going to one of the most popular football programs in the nation. Go figure.

WR. Rodney Smith- Florida State
Another guy who was a four-star, but I still felt he was a little underrated in a national sense. Versatile, and pretty deceptive with the football. He could be the next super receiver at FSU.

DB. Carl Miles- Georgia Tech
VU was in on this guy towards the end but were not going to offer unless Trey Wilson fell through. Either way, Miles is going to be a good playmaking DB for GT.

Ath. Jemea Thomas- Georgia Tech
A player that VU really wanted and that I really liked. Pure athlete, I think he could play as many as four positions for GT. He's going to be a real good one in the ACC. His athleticism is comparable to those who played at Miami during their glory days.

Ath. Dexter McDougle- Maryland
Vanderbilt tried to get in on this kid but just as they did, he was committing to Maryland. Awesome athlete, another one of those guys where you just put him on the field and he'll make plays. In my opinion, his versatility makes him one of Maryland's top 3 signees from their class. I'd put him over some four-stars that they signed.

Ath. A.J. Highsmith- Miami
Talented Texan that was destined to follow his dad's footsteps. Sometimes people say the son or brother of a great player can't live up to expectations, but I think this son will. Good talent, versatile and I think he'll prove to be an offensive weapon for Miami.

RB. Mike James- Miami
Probably one of the most electrifying running backs in the entire class, yet he committed in the summer of 2008 and just really didn't get as much press as his abilities would often deserve. We're talking a back that could be the next Clinton Portis for Miami.

OL. Johnnie Farms- North Carolina
A four-star prospect who I still think was under appreciated. Got to see him two years ago when VU was recruiting Casey Hayward and I was sold on the guys abilities. Athletic, strong, a possible 3-year starter at UNC.

Ath. Mywan Jackson- North Carolina
When Justin Cabbagestalk visited Vanderbilt last June, and then made his commitment, his teammate Mywan Jackson was one of those who visited with him. Needless to say, if his grades were a little better, Vanderbilt would've been on Mywan like white on rice. We're talking a DJ Moore type athlete here. Butch Davis will have so much talent available in 2009.

QB. Bryn Renner- North Carolina
Athletic, strong armed and smart, honestly, I wish Vanderbilt would've offered Renner early in the process and see what happened. In my mind [and several other Tar Heel followers], he's going to emerge as a starter in about a year and a half and have a stellar career at UNC. He could become the schools best passer in..well forever really. I'd be shocked if he's not a national name in a few years and a talked about NFL prospect.

LB. Hans Rice- N.C. State
Obviously, we were high on Rice when he looked destined for Vanderbilt (had actually committed to the Commodores at one point, but that's another story), and we remain high on him as a football player. Could become a great player for NCSU, just hope that his heart is really in on being there.

RB. David Wilson- Virginia Tech
Maybe it's just like Mike James and Miami...maybe it's the common name, but for whatever reason, you'd think that Wilson would've gotten more press for as solid a prospect he is. A very legit four-star, possibly close to a five-star. Quick, fast, all of it. Should be a star at VT.

QB. Brendan Cross- Wake Forest
Vanderbilt was very close to offering Cross after his camp showing, but they decided to offer Charlie Goro instead. I think both VU and WF ended up with solid QB's for the future. Cross was very accurate at VU's camp, making all the throws and showing a solid, strong arm. I think only his height hurt him from being a higher regarded recruit. Either way, he should transition right into Riley Skinner's successor in 2010 and VU fans will know all about Brendan.

No comments:

Post a Comment