I took a break from the 615 Report this past week in order to catch up on some content for the site [as well as deal with other things]. Since I went 8 days without updating the blog, I thought I'd bring a "Mixed Bag" of recruiting information and tips to you.
A few local prospects to highlight:
While Tennessee may not have a whole lot of "star power" in the 2010 class, it could have more depth than the state has generally had. There are several prospects from all types of areas that are on college radars, including Vanderbilt's and something could happen with each if they get out and attend camps or have strong senior years.
Some guys who are on the radar include Clarksville linebacker/defensive end Damario Wilcox, Clarksville Northwest fullback/linebacker Darius Wylie, Lincoln County defensive end Joseph Henderson, Soddy Daisy quarterback Scott Parrott, Whitehaven corner Chaz Moore, Ooltewah safety Darion Delaney, Riverdale lineman Chris Mayes and linebacker/safety CJ Overton, Oakland defensive back Zack Barnes, Camden defensive end Dakota Summers and Lavergne receiver/DB Terry Hodges.
Wilcox has a good frame, stands about 6-foot-2, 230 and could fit into someone's 3-4 as a JACK linebacker or be a 3-4 weakside DE.
Wylie's another big kid at 6-2, 240, who could really make someone happy if they still use a fullback, but with spread offenses the norm, it might be smart if he works out as a linebacker more often.
Henderson comes from the same school that produced former Commodore Theo Horrocks and one-time Dore Lamar Divens and he may be their best prospect since those two. He's about 6-foot-4, 245-pounds and is apparently getting interest from SEC programs and CUSA programs right now.
Parrott was one of the state's top QB's in 2008 and is finally starting to see some of his work payoff from what I hear. Apparently some SEC, ACC, and Big Ten schools are interested.
I'm not sure what's going on in the recruiting world with Moore and Delaney, but Moore did a great job recently at a national camp and I've heard good things about Delaney. I saw Moore at Vandy's 7-on-7 last year, and though a little on the small side, he does have good hips and speed and could work in a good zone defense with further development.
Vanderbilt recently visited Riverdale to check out a number of kids including Chris Mayes and CJ Overton. Mayes is a 6-foot-3, 280-pound lineman that I saw at the Black and Gold Scrimmage and he was impressive in person. I think he's definitely someone to keep an eye on and I believe FSU [where former teammate David Spurlock is at], Auburn and Tennessee are also interested. CJ Overton could be a victim of his own size. He's only about 5-foot-10, close to 200 pounds, and reminds me a little bit of former Warrior linebacker Tamar Butler. Kid is a good football player and I know there's been talk about him possibly being a strong safety. If he was two inches taller, I think he'd probably have an offer or two already. Still, he was also at the B&G Scrimmage and who knows what a camp appearence could do for him.
I also believe that VU was at Oakland last week, checking out Zack Barnes and Tim McAdoo. McAdoo's one of the best DT's in the state, hands down, but Barnes is a little overshadowed by both him and the players the Patriots had last year. I liked what I saw of him in the state title game last year and think he's another guy to keep a watch on. He's about 5-foot-11, 182-185 pounds. Reminds me a little bit of 2009 Vanderbilt signee Javon Marshall.
Dakota Summers is a football player, his video's pretty impressive, and some schools have taken interest. Hopefully more will because he's a good football player [stands at about 6-foot-3, 225 pounds].
I've seen Terry Hodges a few times both in games and in 7-on-7's. More known as a track athlete than a receiver, I think Hodges is one to watch in Rutherford County this fall as someone who might soar up the charts if Wolverines junior QB Landon Grooms has the season some are hoping. Hodges has gotten attention from Vandy, Kentucky, Western Kentucky, MTSU and some others already. The Wolverines also have some other players that might get interest this year.
One other local player that interests me is Edtavis "Tay" Smith of Blackman High here in Murfreesboro. He didn't play last year [not sure the reason] but I saw his video at a recent combine and he has the look of a D1 athlete. Stands about 6-foot-1, 180-pounds. Ran a 4.57 at the PrepChamps combine in February, posted a 35 inch vertical jump and also ran a 4.16 in the shuttle at another combine. He's got a good , athletic body on him, and his frame looks like it could add about 25 pounds. He plays receiver and safety, and while I think his moves in WR drills were adequete, I think he's a guy that a team might want to turn into a safety. Don't know if he has any interest right now, but I have at least noticed him. Blackman's also got the talented Tyrek Collier and DaJuan Brooks. Hopefully, with Coach Shadowens now there, the Blaze can get back to the playoffs and some of these kids who I know are good athletes, will start to get noticed a little more. Justin Bowers, a 2009 graduate, signed with Miami of Ohio, but I honestly feel he could've done a little better than that.
Prospects that could land VU offers soon:
Here's a list of prospects that I think could get VU offers in the next month or two:
RB. James Potts- Delray Beach, Fla. [Supposedly has a verbal offer already]
RB. Rajaan Bennett- Powder Springs, Ga.
RB. Keith McBride- Memphis, Tenn.
RB. Orleans Opoku-Darkwa- Nashville, Tenn.
RB. Juwan Thompson- College Park, Ga.
WR. Michael Bennett- Alpharetta, Ga.
WR. Robert Clark- West Palm Beach, Fla.
WR. Marc Gooch- Murfreesboro, Tenn.
WR. Jay Herndon- Jacksonville, Fla.
WR. Tim O'Connor- Cincinnati, Ohio
WR. Kevin Weatherspoon- Clairton, Pa.
OL. Cameron Clemmons- Lebanon, Tenn. [when camp roles around]
OL. Morgan Bailey- Loganville, Ga.
OL. Zach Hemmila- Douglasville, Ga.
OL. Grant Ramsay- Marietta, Ga.
OL. Logan Stewart- Boling Springs, SC
OL. Dex Sullivan- Cullman, Ala.
OL. Austin Marshall- Memphis, Tenn.
OL. Zach Underwood- Albertville, Ala.
DE. Dezmond Johnson- Nashville, Tenn.
LB. Jonathan Brown- Memphis, Tenn.
LB. Brad Bars- Nashville, Tenn.
LB. Fitz Lassing- Nashville, Tenn.
LB. Brandon Smith- Columbus, Ga.
LB. Jordan Poole- Lebanon, Tenn.
LB. Ishmael Thomas- Detroit, Mich.
CB. Darius Robinson- Atlanta, Ga.
CB. Marshawn Grays- Mesquite, Texas
CB. Larry Stephens- Galena Park, Texas
CB. Peniel Jean- Wellington, Fla.
S. Najee James- Orlando, Fla.
S. DeVaghn Millington- Ridgefield, Ct.
S. Houston Pruitt- Springdale, Ark.
S. Justin Halley- Boca Raton, Fla.
Ath. Victor Beasley- Adairsville, Ga.
Ath. Ryan Smith- Cordova, Ala.
Ath. Jerrell Priester- Allendale, SC
Ath. Gilbert St.Louis- Plantation, Fla.
So you see, I'm "tracking" a lot of prospects..and then some.
We hope to get in touch with a few prospects who are believed to currently have Vanderbilt offers later this week or next.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment