Monday, April 20, 2009

2009 Big East recap

Here's another take on the 2009 recruiting class, pointing out my favorite signees by conference. This one is on the Big East conference, which is often underrated in recruiting circles. Still, they sign some solid prospects every year.

LB. Angel Clybourn- Cincinnati
This two-star prospect is your typical underrated "gem". If you look back over the course of time, most "surprise" two-star high school prospects who become big time college stars, come from the linebacker position. Clybourn has that potential to be big time at Cincy. His speed and motor make him perfect for the Bearcats defense and he just punishes people on the football field. He does play a little high and that'll have to be fixed.

WR. Josh Jones- Cincinnati
Three-star prospect with good feet, size and speed. You watch Jones on video and you wonder why he was so untalked about nationally. A lot of his clips were on Cincinnati's field and he looks like he could've been in the same corps with Mardy Gilyard last year. Pretty talented guy.

QB. Michael Box- U-Conn
I got to see a little bit of Box when he was a sophomore at Collins Hill and then followed his status throughout his final two years as well. It's a little surprising that he didn't pick up any other BCS offers, I would've thought someone like Indiana, maybe Louisville would've been a little more interested. Not a pocket guy at all, which is again why the terms "pro-style" and "dual-threat" have little meaning at times. Decent arm, but not great. His strength is his feet and his ability to throw on the run. In fact, he seems more comfortable throwing on the run. Good prospect who fits what Tyler Lorenzen mold.

WR. Malik Generett- U-Conn
Big, big target who is a tweener between a WR and TE. Could really flurish in a flex role, which is likely where he fits into U-Conn's offense. His speed is not elite, but it's good enough to where I could see him becoming a 12 TD guy in the Big East, pretty quickly. Another thing that I like about Generett is that he's already a decent blocker for a receiver, a big value offensively. Could eventually be a 6-foot-5, 220-pound guy. Could be a versatile red zone threat for the Huskies.

DB. Zed Evans- Louisville
Underrated Texas cornerback really reminds me of a former Cardinal and current Steeler William Gay. Has the versatility to be a solid zone corner but could also do well inside the box as he's hard to get a block on and he has a solid tackle technique. Evans is really a jack of all trades and could be used in the return game. He may remind some of DJ Moore in this aspect as he's not super fast, he's super quick and elusive. Same things I see in VU signee Javon Marshall, I see in Evans.

LB. Horace Miller- Louisville
Virtually an unknown for most of the recruiting period, Miller switched from a UNLV commit to a Louisville signee after a great weekend at the Crab Bowl. Could be a sack machine and reminds me a little of former Tennessee linebacker Raynock Thompson. Athletic and instinctful, could be a sack master at Louisville. Heck, he had 46 sacks over the past two years. He'll be one of those "throw ins" that turns out to be very good.

RB. Jeremy Wright- Louisville
How this Florida prospect wasn't at least a three-star, is beyond me. A very versatile offensive player, he could play running back and receiver at Louisville and if they wanted to go "Wildcat", he'd probably be ideal in that role as well. While he doesn't have elite, breakaway speed, it's nearly impossible to bring him down. Think of a mix between Steve Slaton and Marshall Faulk and you've got the mold in which Wright comes from. Will be one of the Big East's top playmakers over the next few years.

QB. Kolby Gray- Pittsburgh
Got to see Gray in person at one of Vanderbilt's camps last summer and came away really impressed with his athleticism and accurate arm. Kind of reminded me of Oklahoma State's Zac Robinson and I think he should do well at Pitt, I just hope that the Panthers put him in the right offensive system. Has good zip and can find targets in small pockets. Kind of a "pick and pop" type QB, but I think one that could be greatly effective in the Big East.

LB. Dan Mason- Pittsburgh
Another Chris Marve type, even looks like Marve in terms of physical stature. A extra DT on a team, should average 80 plus tackles a season throughout his career at Pitt. Really, when I say he's a Marve type, it again makes me wonder how Mason could be a four-star in 2009, yet this same player was not even a 5.4, high two-star in 2007. Whatever.

WR. Todd Thomas- Pittsburgh
A flat four-star athlete who could play about four different positions in college, on either side of the ball. I think he'd be a big target as a receiver, a good possession guy. What really makes him interesting though is if he was to get play as a SAM linebacker. I think he'd really be ideal here if he gained 20 pounds. Has an impressive wingspan that could cover a lot of space near the line of scrimmage and shift plays into the teeth of a scheme. He could excel any place he plays but I think he could be elite as a OLB.

WR/DB. Quran Pratt- Rutgers
While Rutgers signed a solid DT in Antwan Lowery and a solid safety in Mohamed Sanu, the guy that stood out the most other than QB Tom Savage, was Quran Pratt. I think the three-star is really suited for corner and could be one of the better corners in the Big East in a couple of years. Has loose hips and plays with a lot of physicality, so I could see him on the outside as well as the inside. Also could be a playmaker on offense due to his excellent change of direction ability. Pratt was pretty underrated by Rivals in my opinion.

QB. Tom Savage- Rutgers
In my mind, Savage is a future All-Big East quarterback. Reminds me of Brian Brohm and I think he could achieve that type of hype if Rutgers continues to bring in good athletes on offense around him. A little more athletic than given credit for, Savage also has a little bit of a Tebow quality to him in that he's not easy to bring down. Has a pretty good arm and can make pretty much any throw a passer needs to make. If he doesn't struggle with the speed of the next level [in terms of decision making], I think he'll be a national name by 2011 or 2012.

DB. Phillip Thomas- Syracuse
For about two months, the prospect that I would tell anybody about was Miami's Phillip Thomas. I was able to see some video on the Edison High standout and his potential just blew me away. The only reason why this kid didn't end up in the SEC is because his grades weren't great. Still, we're talking about a very versatile DB, could play safety, corner, nickel, whatever. Fluid, solid hips. Great quickness, sound defensive instincts. Thomas should be a star at Syracuse and in my opinion, he was their top signee.

South Florida has about eight guys that I really liked, so I won't go in depth about them all:

DB/WR. Kayvon Webster
DE. Ryne Giddins
RB. Lindsey Lamar
WR. Sterling Griffin
DE. Jason Pierre-Paul
OL. Steven Jacques
DB. Ricardo Dixon
RB. Adaris Bellamy

The Bulls had the best recruiting class in the Big East, without a doubt.

Right behind them was West Virginia and I would say they had six signees that I really liked, so I won't go in depth here either.

WR. Logan Heastie
Ath. Broderick Jenkins
RB. Tavon Austin
DB. Pat Miller
DB. Jonathan Scott
OL. Ryan Spiker

No comments:

Post a Comment