Tuesday, October 13, 2009

With the long layoff..let's look at some not so long shots...

It's been a long time since I've updated this blog and for that, I apologize. Things outside of the site had taken a lot more of my time than they did during the summer when I started the blog. Anyway, I'm back with the blog now and ready to share some thoughts about recruiting as well.

First, in the next couple of days, Rivals.com will release another updated version of its Rivals100 and Rivals250. While that's always fun, I would like to take some time to look at some recruits that won't be on either of those lists and come signing day, will probably not be even mentioned by numerous recruiting analysts, recruiting fans or even blogs such as this one. Still, I personally think these are some recruits than in a couple of years, will be guys you'll hear or read about when you pick up your Athlon, Blue Ribbon or Phil Steele Yearbooks. Here's some, starting with the offense.

Quarterbacks

Parker Bridwell- Hereford, Texas
6-foot-4, 190-pounds

Here's a "under the radar" signal caller who can throw on the run, has good touch and seems to have a good feel to the game. The one thing he has working against him really is his delivery, he kinds of slings it sidearm, and that's something that probably has other major schools not looking at him. He's got an offer from New Mexico State though and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with offers from the likes of UTEP, Rice or North Texas as well. I think if someone gets him into their spread-type system and gets to work with him on the delivery for a year or two, he could emerge as one of the better QBs in his future conference. I know the sidearmers are not great in college football, but there's just something about him when I watch him that reminds me of someone like a Colt Brennan or a Nathan Dick. He's got D1-A talent and I think it will show if he gets his opportunity.

Henry Hunter- Sachse, Texas
6-foot-1, 200-pounds

Classic dual-threat, option style QB, but with a better than average arm for those offenses. He'll probably end up in a triple option, double slot type offense. Has offers from Army and Navy and he'd probably fit real well into those systems, but I also think he could fit in a tradition power-I as well. Could be a solid cornerback in the BCS level, but I think his arm will take him some places, so QB should probably be a better bet. Hunter reminds me of Syvelle Newton a little. Not the same overall speed and quickness, but still good for the QB position and again, would probably translate even better as a physical corner. Has nice touch on his deep passes and his release point looks to be prototypical as well. When he pulls it down, he takes off quickly and seems to have an extra burst at the second level. I think he'd be great at Georgia Tech, but they've already got some QB's, so someone at the non-BCS level is probably going to get them a future playmaking quarterback.

Marshyl Rothman- Jupiter Christian, Fla.
5-foot-9, 175-pounds

Rothman is a classic kid that is unfortunately too short to be a major college QB but the kid has the arm to be one. I had a chance to see him at one of Vanderbilt's camps this summer and the arm and overall athleticism was there. Problem is, he wasn't even taller than me and I'm 5-foot-9, so I'm not sure if 5-9 is his accurate height. His arm motion and release point are extremely high, so he seems like he wouldn't get that many balls batted down at the high school level but any 6-foot-4 defensive lineman should be able to do so in major college football. He seems to do a lot of jump throws on his video to also make up for this. Still, in person, I thought he had all of the tools just from a technical stand point. He'll end up at a Division 1-AA school and probably have a good career and maybe you'll see him on ESPN during it's coverage of the FCS playoffs. He's a good athlete too, so I could see him being a slotback for someone as well.

Running Backs

LeVeon Bell- Reynoldsburg, Ohio
6-foot-1, 208-pounds

Seems like a classic Mid-American power running back to me. Has those strong ankles, kind of a tweener between a tailback and fullback. Runs down hill, doesn't have great speed, but enough quickness in his feet to get where he wants to go without coming to a complete stop like most fullbacks. He could probably be a good linebacker for someone too. Seems to be well-built and shows constant drive and relentlessness. He reportedly has offers from Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan and Marshall and I'd expect him to end up at one of those schools and eventually become their feature back with some time. Kind of reminds me of former Marshall running back Butchie Wallace, just a little taller.

Michael Perkins- Valparasio, Indiana
6-foot, 180-pounds

What's not to like about this guy besides maybe his high running style. He's quick, fast, seems to have a real solid burst and just looks so smooth running with the football. He seems to shift gears like he's hitting the turbo button on playstation. Reminds me in a way of former Memphis prep turned Miami Hurricane Graig Cooper. Probably because of his style and his talent in space, he's getting looks at receiver and I think he could be a weapon there, especially as possibly a flanker. I like him at running back too though. Either way, someone is going to get a good player and it's a little surprising that only MAC programs are offering at this point. After watching a Indiana Hoosiers game earlier this year, against Eastern Kentucky, I would think they would be knocking down Perkins door, but for whatever reason, they haven't offered. Regardless, I think he's going to end up being a guy that we hear about years from now as a good solid college standout.

Wide Receivers

Chuck Tillery- Starkville, Miss.
5-foot-11, 180-pounds

First thought in watching his video is velcro hands. Seems to have great hand-eye coordinaton. Also has that slick look to him, running very well with speed and balance. Changes directions pretty well and has strong looking angles. Seems almost ideal for the spread or pistol offenses. Stays on his feet very well, catches the ball in stride, and even with a defender on him, he will keep his feet going, trying to get into the end zone on every play. Seems to transition his feet pretty well, though you don't see a lot of different routes on his film. He apparently got injured this year, so I don't know what that will do with his recruitment. Arkansas State had offered and some SEC teams and Southern Miss are interested. While he probably wouldn't be a No.1 or even No.2 guy at most places, I do think he could be productive anywhere that runs a spread and uses a lot of receivers. If he goes to Ark State or maybe Troy or somewhere like that, I think he could end up being all-conference at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment